Thursday 9 August 2012

TCJpart78 Grass
















GRASS INTAKE:
Question: is it possible that naturally horses regulate their grass intake as to avoid nasty illnesses like laminitis or being overweight?



..and the horses that suffer from these things are just predisposed to overindulgence because of their personalities or due entirely to their management, or a bit of both?

I know myself, when I travel, and feast on delicious traditional local delicacies, all I want for  week when I get back is proper builders tea, pizza and chips...

The horse that gorges itself on a green pasture, relentlessly eating, perhaps because he doesn't get regular access to grass, he's taking the opportunity when he can?  Or perhaps like me, he just loves to eat.

This morning, Saturday morning, I swapped the boys fields as I do every Saturday morning.  I shut one top field and open the other, rotating every week.  Tom and Henry love being in a new field, even though it's only been a week since they were there last, they behave as if they've never been there before.  Sniffing and snorting and marching the perimeter.



This Spring & Summer has been warm and very wet.  Grass has had a great time and their fields are very green and plentiful.  A little concerned by the increased grass rich diets I have been keeping a keen eye on what's been going on, even checking their poo and feeling their hooves for any signs of temperature elevation.


BUT, after about 20 minutes wandering and munching the new lusher grass, Tom & Henry wander back into their stables, and eat hay.  Effectively self-regulating their intake of grass.   I believe this is a natural thing for horses to do, it's 'learned', it's in their make-up to stay sound and healthy,,,well you never know when a predator will pop by.  I wonder whether anyone else has noticed this?
It makes me very thankful that I have my own place, that I can turn them out 24/7 all year round, so they never feel the need to eat whilst they can, snatching and gorging, they take grazing in a relaxed demeanour and don't over indulge...unlike me.  Same with the freedom of movement, perhaps horses that have restricted access to turnout injure themselves more galloping around because they take the opportunity when it presents itself and silliness prevails.

Of course, silliness prevails here too, we like a bit of silliness at WW, but it's not a reaction to new freedoms, much more likely an expression of happiness at feeling safe and at liberty...the way a horse should be...the natural way.


 



No comments: