Thursday 16 August 2012

TCJpart80 Tom & Henry












GETTING UNDER MY FEET:
Now, please understand, I love Tom & Henry being around me when I do stuff.  I love it that they find moving my broom, eating out of the bin, going into half mucked-out stables, flinging hay all over my carefully swept floor amusing....it just means they love being with me...doesn't it?


...but there are times...occasionally...when I just wish they'd let me get on with my jobs....! But I don't really mean that, because every time I'm with them I learn something more about them.



MOVING YOUR HORSE:
Getting your horse to move out of your way, or move where you want him can be as easy as pointing at him, remember horses communicate entirely with body language.  Subtle changes in movements: a flick of the ear, a nod of the head, a swish of his tail, can tell us all what our horses are saying.  If you can get good at this, and you’ll need to spend a lot of time with your horse, the things you can do on the ground can help you in the saddle.

Going backwards:  firstly I started with my hand on his chest and add pressure. Horses don’t like any pressure, they’d rather move out of the way, this we can use to our advantage to teach our horse to yield.  So add pressure to your hand, and say ‘back,back,back’ give him a food treat.  Progress to laying your hand with no pressure, and then work with pointing your hand at his chest, and keeping thaat perceved pressure on until he moves...and he will do.



When he arrived here Tom didn't like brooms, not scared, just irritated by them I think.  I sweep my yard twice every day, so he's used to it by now, but only quite recently has he been able to tolerate it to the point when he got in my way and I accidentally jabbed him with it...he just stood there!



I can now sweep right under him and between his legs and he doesn't even bat his long eyelashes at me.  Only because he gets around my stuff whilst I'm using it, is he now relaxed about the whole affair.
So being around all my 'stuff' apparently is good for them.
Henry likes to go into my just finished stable, all clean, new fresh shavings, swept to within an inch of it's life, and roll...when there's 3 acres he could be using for that!!

Boys!









Not scared of bins, plastic bags, logs, buckets, stools, brooms...or any of the pieces of equipment I use around the yard or my poo-picking devices either.

They see these things every day, as as we know with horses, repetition is key.




Jobs take longer though, I can never be in a rush because they just want to be under my feet every step of the way!

In fact I have begun swapping their fields to a new one on Saturday mornings (proper deep cleaning day), just so they're occupied with new territory and not getting in my way whilst I go about the job of the BIG muck-out, haybar empty etc.


But, if it sounds like interesting things are happening...like I'm standing in my bin to make more room....well, they can't resist wandering over.

 











Everything you do with your own horse is an exchange of understanding between you both.  The more things you do with him, the more situations he can share with you the easier his coping mechanism will be out there when you're riding.

 
.
..if only I could adequately explain to T&H that hay is tidier IN the haybars and not taken out and spread all over the floor....hmmmm!








No comments: