Sunday 19 August 2012

TCJpart81 Horses!























CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THEM!
Many of us horse keepers live a busy and stressful double life: 

On the one hand we clean up nicely and go to work: brushed hair, pencil skirts, offices and meetings, projects and presentations, because hay and feed doesn't pay for itself! 

Then there's the other side of us: who wears wellies and old leggings, smells of citronella fly repellent and has hay in our bras and shavings in our hair (and we wouldn't want it any other way)!




This duality is what makes us healthy and happy, because we have the immense reward of horse ownership, bond and companionship in response to the red-tape and politics of the office environment.  Mostly, one balances out the other.

And whilst all our workmates go to spinning classes and have gym membership, we lead a physically active life doing the things we love the most...looking after our beloved horses.

All that sweeping keeps me fit!

The horses are an antidote to the work life, and are far easier to understand than people.

People often ask me where I get the time for horses and work...I don't know another way other than packing my day completely from the early hours to late at night, why would you want to waste any time?  Why spend time shopping when you can go for a ride...I know what I'd rather do....ride first shop later!

...And how do I afford T&H and Isabel Marant boots?  I have great job (Tom & Henry don't work), I have a wonderful husband John (and if I were a band, he'd be my manager, accountant, roadie and groupie all rolled into one), I don't smoke or dance-away my earnings...and I have an over-developed sense of responsibility...my husband and creatures will always come first.


After a challenging day at work, I need to be with my boys, because when I'm with them I'm in the moment, not dwelling or stressing.  I am with them, and in that time that's all that matters.


Horses are like this naturally, they don't fuss or mull things.  They just deal...and move on.  Or run away!
Tom & Henry have become so much more than 'horses' to me.  Riding is fun, but I love doing anything with them, because they have taught me to be calm and reflective I wonder whether with them is when I'm the best I can be?


At work, I perform.  Sometimes I feel like a little hamster running around on a wheel, running fast, going nowhere....too scared to jump off for fear I wouldn't be able to get back on, so I just keep running...but here, at home, I don't have to perform.  I just have to look after my creatures...that includes John, though in reality it's he who looks after me.

..and there's always something going on here at WW, never a dull moment, and it keeps all of us entertained.


In an unexpected way my work life and my horse life have collided a little.  Tom & Henry now appear on tops for M&S Woman and Indigo Collection, and my boss's, boss's, boss is good friends with Susan & Barbara who bred Tom&Henry in Biggleswade...small world eh? 

I am writing more Tom and Henry tales for the Trakehners UK newsletter and my blog is becoming quite popular...you don't have to be a top rider to take your love of horses to the next level, just be creative and honest and you never know what could happen. The thing that I am best at in the whole world, better than anyone...is not being a denim designer (although I am very good at that)...it's looking after my boys, my Tom & Henry.

I love being able to be with those large horses and feeling safe and calm.


Of course Tom & Henry have no clue about all the fuss that surrounds them and their increasing fame, they just take every day in a leisurely pace: wander, eat, wander some more, gallop about and sleep...oh to be them sometimes...but that would mean a diet...on second thoughts!!!


Happy Hacking x









No comments: