Friday 28 March 2014

...paddock pride...






it's a grassy business...



Spring is the time (or before if the weather is perfect for it) to do a bit of paddock maintenance.   A few hours spent in the Landrover with Placebo playing loudly, reaps great benefits during the growing season.  











I try to do this as early as possible, much frowning from John is to be ignored at this time - what do geek-geniuses know about grass?














Chose a windy day so your seeds are caught in a gust and disperse finely and evenly.  Buy an extra bag of herb seeds to add to the grass mix.  The ground needs to be dry, but not too hard, otherwise your seed won't get properly buried by the harrow.
















So first, I throw seed by hand - I have a spreader that goes on the back of 'Bob' (the sit on lawn tractor), but I do a much better job.
















Then I harrow, concentric circles, going as close to the edges as I dare.  I do every inch, both ways - I harrow that land to within an inch of it's life, because rampaging Trakehners take their toll.













Tom & Henry keep a beady eye on all proceedings related to their land....






No comments: