Saturday 27 October 2012

the 'RED HARROWS'



WEATHER:
Today, it's winter.  As the hunt charge down our lane all hairy clips and hacking jackets, I wonder if I'm alone when I note the weather is horrible: windy, icy cold and raining, and decide to stay indoors with the range on.
 
 
Tom & Henry have been standing out in the weather all day, in fact they've not been near the yard at all today probably because it's so windy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 






 
Then it started to rain heavily, the hunt were charging back down the lane to where their boxes are parked, and I began feeling guilty for not rugging Tom & Henry sooner, but it's 40miles an hour winds here so I can't just pop out and put rugs on them in this, I'll be blown away, run over and get wet and cold in the process.

 
 
 BUT, the wind suddenly died down slightly, and the sun came out for a brief moment, Quick!! I said to John, 'operation rugs-on'. 
  
We both charged out into the field, Puffa's on and zipped up, splashing about in our wellies.  The boys' deep suspicion about this odd looking figure covered in bright red silver interactive flapping about in the wind and coming toward them.. setting them off into gallop, they don't need much excuse!
 
 
 
So afer a shaky start and some ducking and diving in gallop their fake fright at me was quickly quelled at the sound of my hero John shaking the herbal treat pot very loudly!!
 
 So then John dispensed treats at a perfect rate for me to dress those two mad Trakehners in rugs, with neck covers on, before they went charging back around their field, this time not cold and shivery but warm and getting dry thanks to the brilliant rug technology.
 
 We call them the 'Red Harrows', because their perfectly synchronised movement wearing their red rugs, is like watching a high speed display, just incredible. 
 
 

No comments: