Friday 7 September 2012

Special Edition: Mud fever Update: Part Six









HENRY'S PASTERN UPDATE:
...forgive the narrative but...bloody mud fever!!!





Nearly 2 weeks has passed since the vet came out to help Henry with his mud fever. 
 
Today, is the third day in a row without any treatment to his pastern, no powders or potions, creams or balms. 
 
But today was hot, so I bathed the boys, and that included Henry's afflicted area.
 



 
 
I gently washed the area with a tiny bit of Hibiscrub but didn't rub or pick the area at all.  Just rinsed thoroughly and dried it properly with blue roll.
 
As you can see, the area is clean a little pink, and Henry seems fine with me touching it now.
 
So glad Henry is OK, mud fever is nasty.

There is a story of Henry's mud fever you can chart from this blog to help you fight your own outbreak should your horse have the bad luck of getting it.  You can see what steps I have taken and clearly see how Henry has responded to treatment with excellent and clear photos by J C Brown (official blog photographer, and husband).  I have numbered the parts too to help track Henry's progress.  I wish someone had done this for me so I'd have felt the journey we were on was not a solitary one.

good luck!
 
 
 

No comments: