Tuesday 7 February 2012

TCJp30 Snow part2



IN THE SNOW:
Day 2, and I'm not complaining. Warmbloods in cold weather.

Today is the second day at home, Tuesday 7th February 2012.



I get to pop outside into the yard and see my boys anytime I want, it's great.  I took the camera out the last few days too and caught some great shots of my horses being themselves in the snow.

Horses LOVE snow, they don't feel the cold like we do, so to them it's just fun.


Henry babes.

Tom babe.



Don't you find that your horses always want to 'help' at feeding time, Tom & Henry are very polite, they usually don't snatch a mouthful until I'm finished. 
They don't grab their dinners until I lay their buckets on the ground.  I like manners.  My boys are too big to not have great manners.

Tom & Henry's ears.






Lemmy, this cat always likes to help around the yard.

The horses are naked during the day today, as it's sunny now and feels warmer, although the thermometer in the feed room says otherwise.  I rug them at night because the temperature drops to below zero and I don't want them wet and cold (they love to roll in the white stuff!).


Tom wears the usual protective boots.

Henry trials the NEW airflow's.



They have protective boots on their back legs in the field, something I have noticed is they make their legs very hot.  This is not good.  So I have recently bought NEW Equine wear 'airflow' brushing boots for Henry (who has to wear boots a lot), and they seem to be doing a brilliant job.  They are hard though, I don't imagine they are very comfortable to wear all day...but we'll see.


Henry is chasing Lemmy out of 'his' field.







Here is the puddle Henry dug
through the snow to drink from. He pawed
snow to dig it out, melting the ice with his breath.

The grass is growing, and the boys are digging through the snow to get to it. 

I am very glad am I that the snow happened this weekend, I am flying next Sunday on a work trip, and not being able to get to Heathrow or the flights still leaving notwithstanding, I am much happier when extreme things happen, and I am here.  Edie helps...and gets in the way too.


Edie in the snow, it's almost as deep as she is tall.



Tom


Salt & grit








John and I spent the morning shovelling snow yesterday, the cats helped, we cleared the yard completely and salt & gritted it thoroughly. 

The boys now have a clean non slip surface to walk on which is much safer plus I can now sweep, which as you know makes me very happy because I LOVE a clean swept yard. 


The Horses have zero respect for a clean swept yard, their preferred activity is pulling huge leaves of hay out of their Haybars and dropping it all over the yard.  Walking in it, kicking it about...but, they do it because they know I love to sweep, it keeps me fit!







Tom & Henry napping in the sunshine.

Tom and Henry have been playing with their field ball.  it has a rubber handle at the top which makes a great grab point for Tom who likes to pick up everything by his teeth, including me.  and Henry likes to push things about with his feet.
  


In my next post...getting fit will be the topic.  Both Tom & Henry and I have a plan...






No comments: