Friday 3 February 2012

TCJp28 Weather, it's nippy




IT GOT COLD!!!




Tom and Henry are still not in for the night.  Their coats are fluffy and are the perfect insulation for any cold weather.  Monday was minus 4 according to my yard thermometer, and the boys were munching hay all happy as usual, coats brushed from the night before:  I keep them brushed so their coats can stand up for warmth.  I put my face against their bodies and felt they were warm.

I used to pack them up in great thick rugs, shut them in doors, just like everyone does.  But this year, of doing things differently, I am very pleased to be treating them like horses, and they are noticeably happier.

They can move about, and are free to go out into the field if they want to.

Diets?  We are sticking to our current regime, and very slowly but definitely they are losing weight.

The forecast is for a short snap of cold and little rainfall.  if it gets nasty, I will bring them indoors, but now this is a last resort after rugging them and keeping them out.

got to remember they are horses.....

So Tom and Henry are naked, clean and fluffy,  happy and munching.  they have lots of hay, and eating constantly should also help keep them warm.  I must remember the story of the Trakehners 'The Trek',  where Trakehners braved ice and snow, hardship and little food just to survive the war....Trakehners are tough...and gorgeous...

...me?  I'm happy in a warm house with the fire going and a cup of tea....not tough at all!!

Shelley

No comments: