Wednesday 27 July 2011

TRAKEHNERS CAN JUMP part 8


WATCHING:
how techno-husband delivered a great gift to me...the ability to watch Tom & Henry

Right now I am sitting at work, checking the boys out on the CCTV live feed, I can log on and watch them anywhere in the world, even on my phone. John has set this all up for me, and it’s brilliant. This may seem a little strange to some, but it’s a great comfort especially when I’m travelling, that I can actually SEE that they are both doing fine. Plus, Husband and Jenny (lovely lady who looks after them when I travel) can wave at me, it is very funny.





You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it! Tom & Henry sharing  naptime.




I had always wanted to be able to watch my horses, to learn what they get up to, everything like this helps understanding.  Their motivations, habits, sleep patterns – for e.g., I did not know horses in a group (well just 2) will take it in turns lying down – very rarely do they sleep together – and if they do its most likely in the field, in the sunshine.  They bring themselves into the yard and put themselves in their own stables quite frequently during the day, especially when it’s hot.  They swap stables depending on which one has the most hay in and they have at least once laid down to sleep – together – in the same stable (we have it on CCTV, as I was anxious about how they would get up without hurting each other, the answer was, Henry is a contortionist and very careful). They have a nap, eat some hay, have a chat, then off they go again like they have an appointment, with purpose – often very nice walks are demonstrated at these times.  I have rough cut logs in my yard just standing against the stables – they will often play with these too, kicking them around the yard and chewing them.


...and the logs make perfect perches for when I need a cuppa!




My 2 have liberty to wander about, in and out of the yard and their stables as they please – and they do like to wander, very rarely still unless it’s raining.  They do circuits around the edges of their fields following one another, then Henry will want to play, and he’ll run around Tom like a crazy little thing, bucking, twisting, throwing himself about and making his distinctive squealy noise, until Tom, who until that point was happy just dawdling and munching, takes off at lightning speed, tail in the air like an Arab snorting and grunting, buckaroo stop dead and off again.  Then the thunderous sound of 2 young horses galloping around the field, just stopping in time at the fence – me with my hands over my eyes – I can’t watch.  They look stunning – this is what horses are meant to look like, graceful, free, floaty and gorgeous full of energy and impulsion – not strapped up and tucked in and asked to bounce on the spot – what are people thinking?


You'll notice from this photo John took that all 8 feet are off the ground - I call it their 'Harrier Jet' movement.




At night, just as the sun has gone down but it’s is still light enough to see they do a ‘YahHoo’ – this is a full-on nutty 10 minutes – if they have had a busy day it may only be a’ WooHa’ about 5 minutes, those minutes are packed with excitement, I am happy I am not riding them when this happens!  I have been told foals in a group do this as they dance around their mates and mums – showing off, it is very impressive to watch – just breathtaking.



No amount of 'training' will ever get your horse looking as amazing as he does naturally.





…in fact this is a good way to dislodge a shoe, poor Steve the farrier, has had to refit several ‘flung’ shoes this year – he is an excellent farrier but he doesn’t eat chocolate HobNobs, which I find very strange indeed...




...but I am beginning to learn that maybe not everyone is motivated by food like me – but my boys certainly are.


This is Grandma 'Min' Davis, giving Henry a carrot.



In all seriousness, if I want them to learn something new I always make sure I have treats in the store; this is a relaxed and fun way to ask a new question.  No hitting or shouting – horses don’t speak English – just gentle talking and touching and lots of time. I don’t understand anyone who will not treat their horse – as they treat themselves – we all need a little of something nice and out of the ordinary, this can also help them to remember.



Tom getting a well-deserved treat, just for being gorgeous.  They don't snatch or bite, why would they? That's just too much effort, they get all the food they want anyway - i'll talk about feeding in another post, but Shelley's rule is hay, hay and more hay with some chopped-up hay!

No comments: