Monday 18 July 2011

TRAKEHNERS CAN JUMP part 5



It's not all been easy...


PROBLEM SOLVING - HENRY:

Problems seem so huge at the time, but looking back some are much easier to deal with than others so I categorise them into 2 varieties:
1) problem (1 bag of treats),
2) big problem (going to need more treats). 


...where the treats are kept xx

When I first got Tom & Henry, it was very clear to me from the beginning the problems I would have to solve with each of them. They are very different ‘people’ as I have said, and their personalities predetermined them to these peculiarities. To solve these ‘problems’ together then, I would need a different approach with each horse.  
One of the best pieces of advice I got early on was to deal with the ‘problem’ horse first (of course ‘problem’ is a matter of opinion, we all, have special needs don’t we?) And though not a ‘problem’ Henry certainly needs special handling and understanding:


 Henry: I love him xx


Henry's problem number 1:

To go in his stable happily, (because for a while there I honestly thought he’d end up living out!) 
Henry is an absolutely gorgeous little horse, he lives completely on his wits and nerves and can never fully relax – this is just him – he will never change – all I can hope for is we'll achieve a certain level of calmness together, and get our job of hacking and having fun done with little problem.



Let’s face it, he lives as he wants, does what he wants and has the life of Reilly, not too stressful one might think.  He is perfectly proportioned and a naturally toned and fit horse, because he can’t stay still for 1 second!



If you feel you can’t cope with this type of horse, where you have to be on the alert all the time, where there’s no time for fiddling with your stirrups or reins, you’re just moving – then please don’t buy one – it would not be good for either of you.

Henry: is he right for me? I love him, and his energy is like my own, he is so wonderful to be around, and he wants to be with me, he inserts himself in to my world, makes everyone love him. Teaching him is easy, he is a very clever little horse, and pretty much works things out for himself – but it does mean some of his problems are difficult to tackle, because they are because of his personality. Henry has insecurities, he worries about things.  He operates on a run first and don’t ask question later approach. He is closer to a wild horse than any I have ever ridden, in that he wouldn't ever get eaten because he'd already be running away.


Firstly he wouldn’t go into his stable – I tried everything I could think of but it was a stressful time, I started to wonder if he’d ever go in because he wanted to, not just because some idiot was shaking his dinner bucket inside the door!! – I didn’t understand the why.  Then it came to me that I should be working with his personality, not against it – and it worked a treat!


Henry now has a relaxed and calm association with his stable, it's a place he goes at liberty to get out of the sun and away from the flies: to eat hay and to have a lie-down.



How I did it: 

Henry would of course follow Tom into the yard; Tom would go straight into his stable and start his dinner. I’d shut his door and change his rugs.  Henry would wander into his stable: take a mouthful and run back out.  Then in an agitated fashion he'd charge around the yard, i'd just about be able to change his rugs because he calmed a little, then he'd go back into his stable when I'd quickly shut his door.  Phew!

He'd be in, but he wasn't happy about it. So neither was I.

So instead of shutting his door as soon as I could and making him feel more insecure, I began by shutting the yard gates.  I left his door open and gave Henry the chance to come in and out of his stable as he wanted.  Generally this took about 20 minutes each time for the first week. The times he came out became less and less every night after the first week, and eventually he was happy to come in, have the door shut an me begin my routine as I had been doing with Tom.  Henry now knows his stable is safe, and as I adopt a come-and-go-as-you-like policy in my yard, He can wander in and out as he pleases all day and night (and he does).  All-in-all this only took a 2 weeks to do, from Henry having a fear of being trapped inside his stable, to wanting and being happy to be there.  All I had to learn, was to work with Henry's personality, not against it.

At the time this seemed like the most terrible problem, it was winter, cold and wet, I really wanted him in, not standing all day and night in cold wet mud. I was at my wits end with worry for Henry, because I didn't want him to be fearful with something he'd need to live with. 



But I have learned because of this that each horse needs a different approach to deal with these challenges depending on their personalities.  Some horses get hit and scared into doing things, this can only make a scary situation even scarier, because aren't  we supposed to be the ones our horses can always rely on NEVER to hurt them, aren't we supposed to be their herd leader? Please don't make, just ask, and further 'asks' will be easier and easier as your relationship grows.


Tom & Henry now enjoying a relaxed attitude to stable occupation!  You wouldn't believe it unless you'd seen it, and yes, they got in and out calmly and tip-toed around each other getting up and down too - how gorgeous is that!!?


Henry's problem number 2:

Separation anxiety:

A common factor in any herd animal is their need to be with their own kind and more importantly for horses their mates or bonded pair.  This makes them feel safe and as we know this is the single most important thing for any horse. Tom and Henry only have each other and separating them was always going to be a challenge.   Not for Tom, because he doesn't appear to mind...but Henry? ... big problem.


Henry needs to manage his own anxiety, and he best does this where he can move his feet and run if necessary.  It makes him feel safer, and being trapped in a stable does not feel safe to him, he's an out-doorsy type.


The advice from everyone was clear: put the horse in his stable where he can't hurt himself and ride the other one. NO! Henry had already demonstrated he could jump over his stable door back at the stud where he was born, so an anti-weave grille was installed to keep him in. Well as you can guess, he went berserk and kicked the walls to get out, and Tom and I only went to the end of the drive, he could see us the whole time, what chance did I have of ever riding my boys?

John suggested against all common advice on the matter, to try something more suited to Henry's own personality: put him out. Well it seemed to be the very opposite of what i had learned, but I was desperate and willing to try it.  it worked!

It was after I tried this, and it worked brilliantly, that I new the best way forward for me and my 2 was to treat every hurdle with a tailor-made solution for my boys and who they are, and it took John, a non-horsey type to point out the blindingly obvious because I was so upset, I couldn't think about it clearly.  Henry now trots up and down the fence a little then calms down.  He'll call out, but he has never hurt himself - he just feels safer where he can run if he wants to.  And now I understand.


I have made my yard a safe haven for my horses.  The associations they have with it are safety, calm, and nice things like food, friendliness and warmth.


Because Henry is who he is, I always ride him first, he always gets his shoes on or sees the vet for his boosters or teeth first.  It gives him less time to worry, and Tom doesn't seem to care.


Henry xx


...ahhh, love him xx





No comments: