Sunday 17 July 2011

TRAKEHNERS CAN JUMP part 4




THE RAMBLINGS BEGIN:

In no particular order, I attempt to chart my journey with Tom & Henry here, so mistakes and triumphs are documented, and anyone who gets into a pickle with their own horses, might just fine some ideas amongst my ramblings.


Their first day at their new home: Tom & Henry straight off the horsebox.


This work is for those horse owners who always knew there was a better, kinder way of dealing with their communication with their horses.  Realising that the very basis of any good partnership is to have a good relationship and understanding of the needs of your horses is an important step.  You may already be doing some of these things, or a version of them, but for once isn’t it nice to read about this way rather than the mean way? I have never hit my horses, or shouted at them in anger, and won’t let anyone near them who would. Horses needs are few: safety firstly, food and company, and when you are with your horse, your needs should be few too – you hear of the phrase ‘living in the moment’, try to forget about the what if’s and the what’s gone before – because your horse won’t be thinking like this – he’s thinking, what is she going to do with me now? 


 So I spent the first few weeks just brushing their hair and feeding them grapes so to speak and getting to know them, I always feel I know someone better once I've hugged them don't you?.  


CONFIDENCE: When Tom & Henry first arrived I left them unridden but well and truly handled for the first few weeks, to give them what I thought was adequate time to settle in.  As it turned out though my horses needed more time than I thought to come to terms with their new environment.  Each horse is different, but I strongly felt mine weren’t properly happy until a few months had passed.


One step at a time, don't let anything or anyone rush you.  With horses, do everything slowly.  If you get this part right, you'll be prepared to come out of your comfort zone a little but only when you choose.


So, when I began riding them I was of course a little apprehensive, but this is what I did, and it worked for me:
I told myself:  ‘one step at a time’, so I’d groom...just brush them and see how I feel

Then: ‘I’ll just tack up, I don’t have to go any further’... if I want to I can just untack and put everything away, and giving yourself this time and these options puts all the power in your hands...




Then I’ll just sit on him...I dont have to go anywhere or do anything, i'll jus sit here and see how I feel again...

Once I was on-board all I wanted to do was stay there for a few minutes...

..... and it's a good idea to teach your horse to stand still once you're on-board for a few minutes, I'll explain later



So I’d sit on my boys, wander around my yard, fiddle with my stirrups, then i'd leave the yard and go up the driveway... and eventually out into the lane....and further, all the time telling myself I can go back whenever I want to....but of course I didn't want to.
I was going further every time, but not pushing myself was the key, because I put all the power for my actions firmly in my own hands,  I wouldn't do anything I wasn't happy to do, and I actually found I was prepared to venture further than I thought.







look how relaxed we both are, Henry is a little nutter by nature, but we know eachother well enough now so I can ride 'on the buckle' most of the time - and if I'm at all worried, I dont go far.

I am lucky, my boys are kept at home with me, I don’t have to worry about looking silly or trying new things in new ways, I can do what I want, when I want to, and I can take as much time to do it as I need.  I have a lovely big square yard John designed for me, Tom can trot around it, and this is an excellent and safe place to do any training.  it's fenced all-round has the stables and feed room at one end, and the field gates and haybars at the other.


To have a nice big safe space to do anything with your horse is brilliant.   If you share a yard with lots of people, you might want to find a place to go where you can be safe to try these things, like an arena.
...or wait until everyone's gone home, and try new things then..Just because some people do things on way, it doesn't mean it'll work for you and your horse.

It has been my experience that invariably the ‘experts’ that are always available for you to ask advice, and who love nothing better than to give it, are the very people who’s methods you might not necessarily want to emulate with your horse.  The people who’s horses do exactly what they are told, because they are scared not to, and they tell you this is a good thing, and that your horse will be dangerous if you don’t smack him - and you can see the deadness in their horses eyes,  they have lost their spirit. 
I vowed my boys would not live in fear, that they would do the things I wanted them to do, and want to do them with me.
Fear: all horses live with a certain amount of fear, I try not to present mine with anything that could hurt them so they shouldn't ever really be faced with life-or-death danger: with the exception the the 2 ‘scary beasts’ that get walked past us every morning, (they are the most frightening dogs, white, short and fluffy – a terrifying combination I think you'll agree).

Any new thing they have never seen, like when Henry saw a sheep for the first time and took off with me sideways (in a cute and gorgeous dressage type way), I was able to reason with him, I quietly sat in the seat and asked him to stop and he did, a sharp yanking would, I believe, only have made him more panicky. I am not saying that my way is the best way, I have not tried all the ways, but nobody knows your horse like you do, and if your new to eachother as Tom & Henry are to me, them no one WILL know them like you will, because you're 2 different creatures, a brand new combination.






Take all the information you can but be selective with advise, but do what is best for you and your horse.





I am not claiming to be a Natural Horseperson (because I’m not entirely sure I know what this means – some people claiming to be 'natural' have given some very strange advice in magazines, using whips, stern language, pointing, rope tricks, round pens.....it’s all too complicated and not any fun for the horse), so this is just a different way. I was taught pointing and shouting was rude - so I dont do it with my boys either!




Some people have trouble catching their horses – I have the opposite problem, they wont leave me alone and mucking out and sweeping and general yard duties take much longer, because as soon as they see me, they wander into the yard.

I wander up to them in their field all the time to cuddle them, stroke them, give them treats, give them a scratch, sit with them.  they have come to associate me wandering up with nice things, and on the odd occasion iIhave to go and get them, usually they jusy bring themselves in, I can wander up put a rope loosley around thier neck, and 'lead' them into the yard. if you have problem catching yours, maybe it's because he associates this with work, or things he doesn't fine fun, or worse fear or pain.
Some peoples horses don’t like the farrier – Tom & Henry have only got  to see Steve's van, they bring themselves in from the field, they wander into the yard to have their shoes put on!  Steve is brilliant with Tom & Henry.
The vet comes, the horses come in, I never need to tie them up because my boys are very polite and stand still even when I  need to cold-hose or bandage. Plus they are very nosey, and can't bear to be out of the equation or not be involved in the conversation.
Some peoples horses mess about while being groomed – I don’t even tie mine up, they just stand with me in the yard and I brush them.  I brush them a lot, jusor fun and interaction.  To give your horse this quality time with no agenda is very good for both of you, plus you can check over his whole body and be certain there's nothing needing attention.


I never tie mine up. They just 'plant' themselves freely to the spot in a relaxed fashion and let me get on with it.

I have seen horses that don’t like being tacked up – again, mine just stand free in the yard while I do all this, boots, high viz an all. And after a ride I pick their feet, I might put a rug on them..all with them just standing there.  But my yard is safe and secure, don't do this if you don't have an appropriate place. 
What have I done to achieve this? – absolutely nothing that anyone else with the willingness to spend the time can't do with their own horse. They trust me not to scare or hurt them, they trust I won't suprise them with anything scary, and I don’t.  Everything new is offered up in a calm, relaxed and gentle way, watching, sniffing, chewing, seeing – all these things before approaching your horse with anything new will allow him to make his own peace with the situation, remember horses need 7 seconds to decide wether they're fear of something will result in flight or acceptance.  And of course, half a bag of herbal treats goes a long way to the association of scary things and nice things. Don't underestimate the power of food, your horse might be much more willing to stand still whilst you hose his leg if you hand him some little treat whilst you do it, then the job becomes nicer for both of you, and who would deny their horse something tasty to eat?. it works for me xx


Don't underestimate the power of food...it always works for me.



No comments: