Tuesday 7 April 2015

Henry bitless....


 
 Bitless:

It's finally happened, Henry was ridden in his new Micklem bitless configuration at the weekend.

 




Tom needs a bigger one, so his is still on order.

As you know, I've been deliberating this for ages (years actually), but I thought now's the time to make the leap.  The boys are teenagers now, and very well behaved (if a little excitable and strong).



 




My pony Brandy was ridden very successfully in a hackamore (the old-fashioned version) and he was brilliant in it. 

 


The bridle itself doesn't do-up like a regular one we're all used to, so will take a bit of getting used to.  And the leather, though obviously good quality, isn't supple yet - so the cheek pieces stand out until the leather 'learns' it needs to go through the d'ring and round a bend.


 



















We only did a quick ride, just to be on the safe side, but Henry seemed very comfortable in his new bridle.  We were able to stop, turn, reverse and fine-tune our speed too - which was my initial worry.  








 



I like to change speeds in a pace to keep them focused on me out riding, and my concern was I'd be less effective bitless - but actually the opposite was true.  





 






He responded well to the increased pressure over his face and head ( and I ride with very loose contact and soft hands - so i never ever pull them about anyway).






 



My feeling is, a good horse, will always be a good horse in spite of the equipment - and taking a bit out of the equation, not only simplifies the whole message, its so  much nicer.

I's suggest giving it a go if you're considering bitless.




...perfect


No comments: