Monday 13 May 2013

...planning for emergencies...




...it's not nice to think about, but trust me when I say, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail...
Be prepared, it's the Brownie motto for a good reason, those Brownies (and I was once a proud member) know what they're talking about.

So, managing your horse in emergencies is important:  what provisions are there for individual quiet turn-out?

Luckily, I keep Tom and Henry at home, so I can devise a flexible living arrangement when needed, and as I have said to Henry many times, Tom has had to suffer restriction when Henry has a tendon injury.  

















When you look for the perfect yard for your horse, ask about injury turn-out, can his friend join?  is it quiet?  is it flexible, in other words can the area change size as the horse progresses? if he needs box-rest is there a separate quiet place for rest?  where his pal can join him.  Studies prove horses recover much faster if the herd bond is close by.

Tom and Henry are in at night until the vet comes Wednesday and gives Tom the nod.  So I am trying to make their living arrangements as interesting as possible, this means interesting dinners and a bale of Horsehage each in haynets hung outside their stables.  not only does this mean their stables are less messy, but they can keep a look-out and eat at the same time.  I can't tell you how much my 2 appreciate this arrangement.          



No comments: