Saturday 19 January 2013

preparation, preparation, preparation...







SNOW:
Preparation is key to surviving the weather in the yard.
 
Last night, knowing it would snow all night, I prepared my yard with a sprinkling of salt&grit. 
 
 
 Not terribly romantic but John bought me a palette last autumn and it's very handy indeed.
 
I emptied the outdoor haybars ready for a new bale the next morning.
 










This morning then, when everywhere was covered in 5cm of snow, my yard, where I'd treated it, was clear and slip-free for the boys, and there was no fiddling with hay covered in snow, i just topped it up.
 
 
 



I put their medium weight rugs on, since they do like to play and roll in the snow, and out they went for a munch leaving me with an easy to sweep yard.
 
Once I have swept I sprinkle more grit on.
 
RECOMMENDED: Salt&Grit.

 
 

Also, we stocked up on horse feed too so we don't have to make any mad dashes to the farm shop for emergency supplies.
 
it's the Brownie Motto but 'be prepared' is the key.




 
 
 



No comments: