Sunday 10 June 2012

TCJpart60 Grooming





THE BRUSH-OFF: photography by John C Brown
                                           OTHERWISE KNOW AS 'SPARE BUTLER'.

Giving your horse a great groom not only makes him all shiny and clean, but gives you the opportunity to scrutinise every inch of his body checking for abnormalities, cuts & scrapes etc.  And as if that wasn't enough to convince you, spending time with your horse just working around him, without asking for anything in return is a great way to bond with him...

...and gives you great upper-body workout into the bargain...so what are you waiting for?
 
 
 
I groom Tom & Henry very frequently, even if I plan to ride or not, just spending time with them is what I love doing the most. Keeping them looking so gorgeous is my favourite job.

I brush them in the yard whilst they're eating hay at their haybars, they are relaxed and happy doing something they like, so they don't mind at all me moving swiftly around them, working from ear to tail with a variety of equipment.

I also brush them in their fields, I just wander up the them whilst they're grazing and slowly and quietly brush them all over.  They just carry on grazing and moving about as they usually do, with me following them around with the brush I keep deliberately in the field.


Just spending this special time with them is so rewarding, it's like I become a member of their herd, as I just move about with those large horses at liberty, from one spot of grazing to another.


I call this a hairbrush, and it's a perfect tool for gently removing dried mud.  great for tails and manes too and easy to weild because of it's handle like a hairbrush.



Gentle around the bony bits...



First I begin with a hairbrush: a handled piece of kit with rubber tipped bristles.  This is great for all-over the body, I am very gentle on their faces and don't go near their eyes with it, it's just too hard, instead I pick mud off with my fingers.  It's brilliant for manes and tails, much easier than a dandy or comb because it has a handle (combs  tear out too much hair - I don't use these at all).  I flick around the fetlocks to remove the mud, brushing through the hair as I work my way around their bodies.


oh, yeah!


  

Part of the grooming process, if the boys have an itch that needs scratching, I'll offer myself for a head rub.  I usually have to hold onto something because they're strong!!  They so enjoy it and so do I?




Finding their itchy spots is a great way to do a nice thing for your horse and he will reward you with what John & I call the 'tapier' face.  A head up, top lip twisted and extended with a look of pure pleasure.  It's priceless.


Then, the dandy brush.  I prefer a small one so it fits neatly in my hand, I frisk them allover with this, getting right under their fetlocks to remove all the mud.





Then I have a soft body brush, this I use to flick all scurf and dust from their bodies the dandy has brought to the surface.  I 'clean' it on my hand regularly to remove the dust from the bristles too.  I would use a metal curry, but my hand is handier!







Then I have a red finishing brush, I bought this for Tom.  He has a very fine coat and a sensitive skin, and the bristles on this special brush are so soft you could brush your face!.  I can brush them all over and they just shine.  Henry particularly loves this brush around his face, he pushes his head into my hand!







I  then use a brush in each hand, I call it 'dual-wielding'  to give them a brisk finishing off, then wipe their eyes and nose, sheath and under their tails with a variety of damp clean flannels.



 Pick their feet, but never put any topical application to their hoofs, Steve wouldn't approve!
Finished, the boys are sparkling and I am filthy and need a bath!


I enjoy every moment I spend with Tom & Henry, grooming them is so rewarding, I just love being with them, they are very funny and don't mid at all when I cuddle them xx














No comments: