Friday 6 April 2012

TCJpart 42 Boosters and Teeth Check







THE ANNUAL VISIT:
...when the vet comes...








Tom and Henry have just had their annual appointment by the vet to give them their booster injections and check their teeth. I always feel anxiety when the vet comes, I get that squirrely feeling in my tummy,  just in case something happens...they get scared during the process and clock me or the vet with the heavy gag they have to wear, or Henry has a reaction to the sedative again and get colicky, fidgety and sweaty. Or Tom takes exception to a stranger in his stable.  Like most horse keepers...if there's something to worry about, we will.

I don't ride after the vet has been, I worry their mouths may be uncomfortable or the sedative hasn't cleared their system.  I take extra care with them.

The boys were brilliant, they always are.  When the vet arrived the horses were out in the field munching the grass.  I shook the treat pot and called them, they came cantering in.  It always amuses me when they behave in a normal way (normal for Tom & Henry), and if the visitor has never met Tom & Henry before, they can't hide their surprise at how my boys behave...perfection, they want to please, they want to do the right thing. 

They  make me very proud, and every visitor is always happy to go the extra mile if needed because Tom & Henry are relaxed and happy, they have impeccable manners and only fidget out of fear.  They stand still for prodding and injections, they don't barge or push. they don't make anyone nervous. 


Henry with the gag on.

Henry has to have a Shetland-pony sized dose of sedative because of a previous negative reaction to the injection.  They have sedative because a single vet scared them both in their second year with me, but I will ween them off gradually, needless to say I have banned this vet from ever coming near my boys again.  I vet the vets.  They are good boys, but with the gag on it can be dangerous if they get frightened and panic, those things weigh a tonne.

Coming round from the dose you have to be careful they don't trap their windpipe falling asleep with their heads over the stable door. Their heads are very heavy and horses can and do feint if their windpipe is restricted. It's never happened here, but the vet tells me it's not good. So we take a horse each me and John and lift their heads onto our shoulders so their necks are clear of the door, listening to them snore and being so close to those big creatures is quite humbling. Half awake we open the doors. You have to make sure they don't try to eat until they are fully awake in case they choke, but the whole thing only takes about an hour.

Passports all signed and stamped boosters and dentistry done for another year. Phew!!!

We always say to the vet, we hope we don't see you for another year!!

Boys went back out after waking up, like nothing had ever happened.


No comments: