Sunday 3 February 2013

...new shoes....






...after a winter of  being 'shoeless and idle'....
................................the boys had a pedicure today.





A  combination of Steve my farrier needing some time off and my own experimental side wondering how T&H would be shoeless during the unrideable months of winter, meant the boys have been without shoes since October.




Surprisingly, they were absolutely fine, I wouldn't want to add this as a permanent approach to my strategy, but as a well monitored experiment, it proved most interesting.






They have remained unridden and have been fine, a little sore on the rough concrete patch in my yard but sound on the flat.
 

Remember also, they have been in at night during this time too so have spent lots of time on soft ground woodchip and rubber floor,....and outside: actually very soft...rain soaked mud!





Steve arrived today, not in his usual van, but in his car kitted out for farriering. Tom and Henry were grazing (yes, we have grass), and brought themselves in from the field, walked over to Steve and Bob's your uncle. he said their feet were a very good shape and condition, phew!
....now I just have to tackle the mud....wonder how long that'll take me?



No comments: