Monday 26 March 2012

TCJp36 Unidentified Lumps



WEIRD LUMPS: don't freak-out!

Our first reaction to strange lumps on our horses even ourselves is fear.  The unknown.  The 'what-ifs'.  But of course horses don't preoccupy themselves with the 'what-ifs'.  They live in the moment - not keen on that phrase - but that's what it is. ...am I going to get eaten?...run!  That sort of thing.

It's important when weird things happen, you try to stay calm, not least for your horse who most likely doesn't have a clue what all the flapping about is for.

This is what happened this week:




Monday night: This time it was Tom:


Thank goodness it's light when we get home now.  As I approached the yard the boys were hanging about on the ramp as usual.  I made their dinners, and, hoof-pick in-hand went over to Tom (strangely, it's not just the horses that have routine, I always pick Henry's feet out first...except tonight for a strange reason). 

It was then I noticed a strange and  rather alarmingly large lump under Tom's belly! About 6cm forward of his sheath opening, central to his mid-line.



the culprit


I wont tell you the crazy things that ran through my mind.  I gave it a good looking at, prodded it gently, then less gently.  Then put it in the palm of my hand and squeezed it to see if there were any clues as to what it might be. Then did what any self-respecting keeper of horses does...ran in-doors and yelled at John to come quick, my tone saying NOW NOW NOW!!!!  Which he did, but not before grabbing his camera!! Because a photographer doesn't miss any opportunity for a blogtastic shot.  So there I am, trying to stay calm, trying to remember to breathe.  Got my phone now so I could speak to my vet, all the while John calmly wanders around Tom inspecting the lump.  Tom just munching his dinner, unaware of all the fuss he has created.

John repeated the same things I did above, except he is a little rougher than me, which is why I will never let him take my splinters out, I always save them until I'm visiting Lesa in Tiptree!

My instincts said call the vet and ask for advice, I didn't think it was necessary to call her out.



You can see here just under Tom's belly, the lump I consulted Louisa about.

My vet Louisa @ House&Jackson, is brilliant.  She called me straight back, she is very familiar with Tom & Henry, and where possible I always ask for her to come out as she is also excellent with hysterical owners too!!  She asked me what it felt like, were there signs of fly bites around the area, where was it and how big. It is firm and spongy to feel, about the size of an egg, but flatter in shape.  With tiny little pin-prick bites all over it - she was right.



Phew!! perfectly normal reaction to bites!!  The lump may get bigger before it goes away (I have never seen anything like this before).  Louisa suggested I clean the area with  weak antiseptic or salt-water.  And just to be certain I gave the surrounding area a quick spray of repellent.  (it was only a few weeks ago I was sharing my in-snow experience of mud fever, and how to deal with that, and now I'm talking about fly repellent!!).  Tom is very sensitive, he has a very fine coat, and anything that bites him, he has a visible reaction to...thank-you John for reminding me xx.

So the lesson is, call your vet and ask for advice if you're worried about anything, your instincts will tell you when they actually need to come out.



Min & Lemmy

Louisa told me it may get bigger and move forward before it disappears completely.  I am to keep an eye on him too, of course, just to make sure he remains normal in himself...just in case.

The cats were 'helping', and Min launched herself from the haybar onto Tom's rear as he was eating, scattering Henry into a jitter across the yard,  but Tom remained calm, he bucked Min off gently, and just carried on eating his dinner. Min knows now not to jump on a horse....or so we hope!

I will keep this 'lump' situation updated.  I hope it's helpful to someone, John took the photos, so you can clearly compare Tom's lump with any you might find on your horse.  I shall be topping-up with fly repellent now too.

Tuesday morning: lump unchanged, Tom seems himself.  They have had a good nights sleep too there's evidence of lying down all over their coats on one side.

I will clean it again tonight and apply a little more repellent around, not on, the area.

Tuesday evening: lump has changed shape, slightly flatter, but remains the same size.  Tom appears normal.  I have cleaned it again gently rubbing all-over with a clean flannel sprayed with an antiseptic solution.  I then sprayed around his tummy, sheath area and tail with some repellent.  All done for the night.

Wednesday morning: lump size and shape unchanged, but now there is a tiny bite-mark clearly evident.  It has a small amount of solidified amber-looking discharge at it's centre similar to that of other bites Tom has had. Again, I have cleaned it, then left it alone.

Thursday morning:  The lump has reduced in size.  I have cleaned it, and once again left it alone.  Tom doesn't seem to mind all the extra attention, I think he's just happy he isn't Henry, because getting rid of all those crusty mudfever scabs must be boring and leave Henry sore, sorry Hens xxxxx.

Thursday evening:  Tom's lump has significantly reduced in size...phew!


Friday morning: and the lump has almost gone exactly as Louisa predicted, picture above.

Friday late afternoon: the lump is just a bump now, hardly noticeable at all...but we notice everything on our horses don't we?  I'm letting them out tomorrow to grass so I can harrow the long-awaited winter paddock, I'll take some pictures of Tom in the morning to add here....plus there may be some pictures of the Spring Harrow too.

Saturday morning: smaller again as you can see - very happy about  that!  Think we can sleep at night again now xx






2 comments:

EQ said...

Your horses are beautiful- glad the lump was just a bug bite! Great photos, too.

Shelley Rand said...

My thoughts exactly EQ.
Shelley