Thursday 6 October 2011

TCJpart 12 Road Safety


ROAD SAFETY:
...it's serious

 Tom all kitted out in Hi-viz, looking incredibly handsome and showing his lovely bum xx







 Here, we are meeting lots of traffic, but we're staying calm.





Horse & Cycle Safety Campaign:

Jayne Toyne the photographer for HORSE Magazine, amongst other things, dropped some photos of my boys this week.  Some she took of the morning she spent with us photographing Tom & Henry for the safety feature due in Novembers issue.  here are some of them:



Henry bends, and demonstrates why Trakehners are famous for their gorgeousness.






Henry, wearing his hi-viz neck strap and I am putting his bridle on - I always do the saddle first.







Tom keeping an eye and ear out for possible danger, which may or may not include white flowers and sheep.






Tom is wondering what John is up to....me too xxx






ever wondered what body protectors are for!?



John is usually behind the camera not in front of it.






Try to spot potential hazards ahead, and  look out for safe passing points too.







I go out of my way to give way and let traffic by, especially if they've been patiently waiting behind me, if  you get someone impatient who comes right up behind you and revvs their engine, try to stay calm, In my narrow lane you canm see above, i might ride in the centre of the road to prevent cars trying to squeeze past me, it makes them wait, until I am happy I have found a safe spot for them to pass.  I don't have to do this very often, as you can see from the picture above, people are very nice in WW.






There is so much to keep an eye on on the roads, you can't let your concentration go, I find sometimes it's safer for me to ride down the centre of the lane, this way I can control the situation, and let traffic pass when it's safe.







Jeffrey from our village having a chat, obviously this is only safe if nothing's coming along the road.  Don't antagonise people by deliberately holding them up.




Remember, it's a small world, the chances are you'll meet the same people when your out riding, be pleasant and courteous, they'll remember a rider who's friendly, and slow down for you again - and the chances of them behaving cautiously if you're having a problem, say with white flowers that weren't there yesterday, they're much more likely to stop and wait it out.

No comments: